Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Anime
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
PrincessHikaru wrote:
Are you serious? Even if it Was Fonzie cards, surely I'd steal something that was more worth the effort. Laughing

I had just finished high school when the Pokemon epidemic hit. I was tired of seeing them, and hearing the commercials. "Gotta catch 'em all!" Yeah, catch this! *kicks TV across the room*

~Hikaru

Dead serious Laughing. People would bring their most expensive/powerful card to school during duels so they can win easily and then never see the card again after lunch because someone broke in their locker and stole it. Then, fights would break out the next day because the jackass would bring the card BACK to school claiming it was theirs. I mean, you can't really prove it's yours unless you put your name on it, but I'd say the timing would make it really obvious.

*in the hallway of some random middle school*
Student #1: "Stop thief! I'll erase the lines on the basketball court with your face, punk!"
Thief: "All this for a rare Pokemon trading card?" *continues to run, plowing into the A Group*

*ahem* Sorry bout that.

~Hikaru
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

"And now esteemed effendi, we duel! Alright!"
*sees sad kids with ripped cards in their hands trying to have a make shift Pokemon card duel* Laughing
Janette Morgan
Jafar's Hourglass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessHikaru wrote:
Um...I eat a lot, but I'm not overweight, but some people I know are. So, stuff like that can really happen.

I know it can, but it's like "he just CAN'T be overweight because he's the hero!" There are never fat heroes. Just fat sidekicks/minor antagonists/etc. It's annoying.

Of course, even worse is a minor character who is gluttonous AND fat... especially if he has no brains. (Broadway has brains. *loves Broadway*) I think, in essence, what they really need to do is get rid of gluttonous characters overall. Make the fat character a junk-food addict, but DON'T make him the Only Character You Ever See Eat or Eats Three Hamburgers At A Sitting! I hate those.

Done ranting now.

PrincessHikaru wrote:
Student #1: "Stop thief! I'll erase the lines on the basketball court with your face, punk!"
Thief: "All this for a rare Pokemon trading card?" *continues to run, plowing into the A Group*

I dunno... somehow, I imagine this kid as the kind of squirt who shouldn't be let in the school. Yeah, steal the expensive card and pretend it's trivial, that's bright. Probably gonna grow up to embezzle money or something like that...

Overall, though, trading cards are absurd. I think this comic says it perfectly.

Avatar base by Angy(-chan) at Yume Studio.
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessHikaru wrote:
Um...I eat a lot, but I'm not overweight, but some people I know are. So, stuff like that can really happen.

Yes, it can happen. But you are not an annoying brainless anime 'hero.' Wink

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in 3rd grade when Pokemon became popular. At first I hated it but then I grew to love it. (must of been subliminal messaging Wink ) I was jealous of any kids who had real cards. I had the bootlegs Laughing I had a thing for Ash when I was a kid. Laughing Ah, the good old days of Saturday Morning Cartoons. Smile

I liked Card Captors and Inuyasha too. I disliked Yu-gi-Oh a lot though. I never understood why evertime they came across some life-or-death situation they ended up playing cards. Like when that villain kidnapped Yugi's grandpa...why didn't they just call the cops? Or shoot/beat up the guy and get it over with?

I disliked Sailor Moon as a kid but it's a fond memory of mine now (even though I don't think they play it anymore)

I also liked Tenchi and Yuyu Hakashou...and I basically watched most of the animes that you guys named before. I also liked DBZ. I watched 2 seasons before I realized every season had the same plot. But it's like that with every show, really.

I like the manga Marmalade Boy. I hope that they show the series in the US (dubbed well) on Adult Swim. I also hope that they re-color all the character's hair before it airs in the US. Miki was meant to have black hair and Meiko and Arimi are meant to have blonde hair! But they probably won't waste time and money re-coloring everyone's hair...

In response to everyone else: I don't think I've seen anyone overweight in an anime. Anime characters usually have perfect bodies.
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noooooooooo!!!! Not hacked-up TV dubs! I can't even watch the Sailormoon dub anymore, and I never did like "Cardcaptors" because I saw Card Captor Sakura first. Then I watched a dubbed episode of one of the episodes I'd already seen, and it was way different. (This shouldn't surprise some people.) So, yeah. Don't try to talk to me about "Cardcaptors," because even speaking the American title is enough to get me started.

As for Dragonball, I never watched it, but I heard from people who have that its dub is hacked up, which might be why you think every episode looks the same. But I can't say for sure.

I thought they did a good job with InuYasha. (Probably by then, "NA TV dubs suck!" was screamed loud enough for people to hear.) I mostly watch it on DVD, though.

~Hikaru
APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I liked Cardcaptors better because Sakura is less of a sue is that one. I like both the english and japanese versions but I don't like Sakura's voice in the sub...And I did say I wanted Marmalade Boy to be 'dubbed well' didn't I? Wink the only thing that bothers me about that show is that the characters didn't look the way I imagined them to be when I read the manga. Even the author of the series said she had imagined their hair to be normally colored.
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of dubs vs. subs, I'm more understanding towards dubs, because sometimes the original voices are just inaccesable (I mean sometimes the Japanese versions, women are just too friggin' high pitched to the point they sound like thirteen year-olds).

Bang Zoom! studio which usually does the Pioneer/Geneon animation usually does a good job and Funimation, a Texas-based dubbing studio, has really redemned themselves with dubbing FullMetal Alchemist. Ocean View, a Canada-based one and the ones who are responsible for the "Inuyasha" dub, have had hits and misses.

4Kids, well, I'm not to fond of their work, mainly they drastically edit footage and often dumb-down dialogue to be "suitable" for children.
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nez wrote:
On the topic of dubs vs. subs, I'm more understanding towards dubs, because sometimes the original voices are just inaccesable (I mean sometimes the Japanese versions, women are just too friggin' high pitched to the point they sound like thirteen year-olds).

I know what you mean. As an American/Westerner, I not only find this annoying, but also disgusting - I'm pretty sure they do the squeaky voices because Japanese men find this attractive. Compared to Westerners, the Japanese are... how do I say this... pedophilic.

APK
Sinister Snack Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a very disturbing read... Confused

Quote:
Likewise, childish outbursts, pouting, and tantrums are viewed as charmingly erotic because such actions work to further the violated schoolgirl image.

Is that why a lot (but not all) anime girls speak in really high pitched voices, yell and whine a lot, weep and pout and wear school girl outfits?
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

The things you learn off the internet Laughing
Janette Morgan
Jafar's Hourglass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Disgusting, isn't it?

Unfortunately, 4Kids is my only method of access to these cartoons, so I miss out on great stuff like Sanji's cigarette. (THEY TURNED IT INTO A LOLLIPOP!!! What happened to the days when all the cool guys smoked? I guess it's just one of those lung cancer things.) Still, their rendition of One Piece is pretty good, at least compared to Pokémon.

Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Glowers at Janette*

As a complete un-endorser of smoking, I think the last thing the kids need is seeing a cigarette sticking out of one's mouth as being part of the 'cool' package.

...Not that I really like the lollipop any better, as I don't endorse rotting your teeth and pancreas out with sugar, either. But at least it's not so tacked to being 'cool.'

AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinach is bad for you, too. It gives you kidney stones.

~Hikaru
Janette Morgan
Jafar's Hourglass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really mean all the cool guys had to smoke. But the way smoking is practically taboo on any form of entertainment... it's just annoying.

And I'm pretty sure spinach doesn't give you kidney stones. It's probably taking the fall for some other food on account of a nutritional misunderstanding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum