Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Anime
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anime
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartan Girl
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Anime Reply with quote

So, does anyone here like anime?

My obsession with anime was caused by my brother. He was the one who insisted on turning on Dragonball Z while we were eating dinner because he didn't want to miss an episode. At first, I blocked it out, but I gradually got interested, and since then, I've been a DBZ fan.

I know there are a lot of girls that like action anime, so it shouldn't be weird that I like the show. While I love the fights--although they are kind of drawn out--I also enjoy the humor and the characters. Another reason that girls may like DBZ because of the male characters. Goku's not Aladdin, but he is FINE!Embarassed

Today, I kind of prefer the Japanese subtitled versions to the dubbed, just becuase there was better written dialogue. Still, the dub has its moments (especially in the Dragonball series and later in DBZ). I wish Cartoon Network was still airing the reruns instead of the new Pokemon series Mad

I also like Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho. Cartoon Network has also stopped airing those shows, though they did finish up Yu Yu Hakusho... at 5:30 AM on SATURDAYS Mad ! I'm glad I was able to catch the last episode when two certain characters finally kiss Very Happy

Anyone else like these animes or have others to talk about?
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite enjoying One Piece until they kinda stopped airing it on 4Kids... nargnarg.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's "Anime" whether it's plural or not, because they don't pluralize anything in Japan, and China as far as I know. (Sorry, a minor pet peave of mine.)

I never got into DBZ, sorry. But I do love Yu Yu Hakusho. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but it has some elements and characters I've really gotten attached to.
Like a lot of people, Sailormoon is what got me into Anime. Then I got into Wedding Peach, then Card Captor Sakura, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Fushigi Yugi. I also like Blue Seed, InuYasha, El Hazard, Ranma 1/2, Pretear, and Tenchi. Just to name a few. I've watched a little bit of Fruits Basket (It's actually "Fruit Basket" without the S, but there was a faux pas in the translation.) but when I started watching it, that was around the time I got either more InuYasha or Yu Yu Hakusho, or during the time I was still into the Ranma boxset I have. I've listened to it in the background when my husband would watch it, and I think I might go back to watching it.
I've also seen Revolutionary Girl Utena and read a lot of the Manga series. The Anime was a bit weird, but reading the Manga helped me to understand it a bit better.
Also, I've seen and have every episode of Magical Stage Fancy Lala, but that series didn't do it for me. I think it was geared towards a very young audience.

Speaking of Anime that's geared towards little kids, does anybody here remember Maple Town? It was on Nick Jr. when I was a kid, and it is an Anime. I'd really like to see it in its original Japanese format. Actually, Nick Jr. showed a lot of Anime shows back in the day.

Ok, I'm fixing to go off on a tangent, so I guess I'll send this now. Laughing

~Hikaru
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessHikaru wrote:
It's "Anime" whether it's plural or not, because they don't pluralize anything in Japan, and China as far as I know. (Sorry, a minor pet peave of mine.)

Peeve. It's spelled 'peeve.' Wink

Ah... I forgot to mention what has become quite possibly one of my favorite movies ever - Spirited Away.

AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that one, too...or more like it was on while I was folding laundry, but it was pretty good. The guy responsible for that movie is really big in Japan, I heard. (How do you spell his name? Laughing )

~Hikaru
Nez
Eccentric Papyrus Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hayao Myazaki. I like his films alot. They're very whimsical.
Jafar's Hourglass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirited Away was absolutely awesome. Most of the character designs were extremely innovative (I loved the bouncing heads), and the backrounds were BEAUTIFUL. And the plot wasn't bad either.

One Piece is great, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it air again (I think it's coming back on 4Kids).

I don't know much about Yu-Gi-Oh, but what I do know I like to make fun of. The whole "cursed Egyptian artifacts" is quite funny, and Yami Yugi ain't too bad, either.

I'm rather fond of Rockman.EXE/Mega Man NT Warrior, though unfortunately I haven't seen very much of it. You wanna talk fine, Hikari Yuuichirou is fine. And so are Searchman, Blues and Enzan (who look just alike) and Elecman.

Pokémon is one of my guilty pleasures, though to be honest I'm much more into the game than the cartoons -- although I have to admit I have a thing for Brock and James; an even guiltier pleasure, you might say.

I've also seen Mew Mew Power, and it's pretty cute, although the Americanizations were annoying. What the heck kind of a name is Tarb, anyway? I know it's "brat" spelled backwards, but/and it's stupid. And what's a "Predicite" or a "Cyniclon"? They really should have had better naming people.

And that's my anime experience in a nutshell.

Avatar base by Angy(-chan) at Yume Studio.
Iago
Ghost Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to just come out and say it. I still watch digimon and love every minute of it Razz

I'm also a huge Bleach fan
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's one thing that bugs me about anime, it's that it's pretty common for the 'heroes' to be lazy, gluttinous idiots. They don't actually do anything but slippyslide their way through their misadventures, surviving only to the next day because of their dumb luck or because they're just too darned powerful to actually get hurt.

I don't know who started the paradigm, but I want 'im caught and shot now. No, on second thought, I want the guys who thought they had to emulate this caught and shot now. It drives me crazy!

AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syera wrote:
If there's one thing that bugs me about anime, it's that it's pretty common for the 'heroes' to be lazy, gluttinous idiots. They don't actually do anything but slippyslide their way through their misadventures, surviving only to the next day because of their dumb luck or because they're just too darned powerful to actually get hurt.

I don't know who started the paradigm, but I want 'im caught and shot now. No, on second thought, I want the guys who thought they had to emulate this caught and shot now. It drives me crazy!

Yes, that's how I feel about Anime such as Pokemon or Yu GGi O that becomes so trendy, you hear about it from just about any seven-year-old on the street. And I will say this. All those people who invested their life savings in Pokemon cards deserved to get burned.

~Hikaru
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no no--nothing killed me more than the ones who use to get in FIGHTS over them at school Laughing. And in the 8th grade, we had a Pokemon card rule that you couldn't bring them to school because at first the teachers thought it was a form of gambling (Laughing), but then people were stealing cards out of people's lockers. It was insane.
Janette Morgan
Jafar's Hourglass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ergh... cards. Ugh. *vomits* I mentioned once that I was thinking about getting a Yu-Gi-Oh game for my Game Boy, and my eight-year-old brother immediately declared that I should buy real cards. No thank YOU, I learned my lesson when he tried to get addicted to Pokémon cards. *Shudders*

Syera, that's "gluttonous." And yes, that's annoying. Especially when ANOTHER character is overweight for no apparent reason.

Avatar base by Angy(-chan) at Yume Studio.
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
Oh no no--nothing killed me more than the ones who use to get in FIGHTS over them at school Laughing. And in the 8th grade, we had a Pokemon card rule that you couldn't bring them to school because at first the teachers thought it was a form of gambling (Laughing), but then people were stealing cards out of people's lockers. It was insane.

Are you serious? Even if it Was Fonzie cards, surely I'd steal something that was more worth the effort. Laughing

I had just finished high school when the Pokemon epidemic hit. I was tired of seeing them, and hearing the commercials. "Gotta catch 'em all!" Yeah, catch this! *kicks TV across the room*

~Hikaru
AmethystFae
Portland Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janette Morgan wrote:
Ergh... cards. Ugh. *vomits* I mentioned once that I was thinking about getting a Yu-Gi-Oh game for my Game Boy, and my eight-year-old brother immediately declared that I should buy real cards. No thank YOU, I learned my lesson when he tried to get addicted to Pokémon cards. *Shudders*

Syera, that's "gluttonous." And yes, that's annoying. Especially when ANOTHER character is overweight for no apparent reason.

Um...I eat a lot, but I'm not overweight, but some people I know are. So, stuff like that can really happen.

~Hikaru
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessHikaru wrote:
Are you serious? Even if it Was Fonzie cards, surely I'd steal something that was more worth the effort. Laughing

I had just finished high school when the Pokemon epidemic hit. I was tired of seeing them, and hearing the commercials. "Gotta catch 'em all!" Yeah, catch this! *kicks TV across the room*

~Hikaru

Dead serious Laughing. People would bring their most expensive/powerful card to school during duels so they can win easily and then never see the card again after lunch because someone broke in their locker and stole it. Then, fights would break out the next day because the jackass would bring the card BACK to school claiming it was theirs. I mean, you can't really prove it's yours unless you put your name on it, but I'd say the timing would make it really obvious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum