Aladdin Central Messageboard :: View topic - Can't we all just get along?
Aladdin Central

Text / Information Images Multimedia Interactive Miscellaneous Links Contact Credits / Disclaimer  
Aladdin Central Messageboard

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't we all just get along?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brighteyes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Can't we all just get along? Reply with quote

This is something that I’ve wondered about for quite a while. At the risk of being flamed, I must ask: why is it that fans of different companies like Disney and Warner Bros. seem to have some sort of rivalry going on between themselves? I remember a while ago there was a television commercial done by Universal Studios (I think, this was a good while ago) or something that took a swipe at Disney, and Disney fans got seriously mad. I remember thinking to myself, "It's just a T.V. commercial. It wasn't like they personally insulted Walt or something."

Disney fans alone aren’t guilty of this behavior. I know people who like anime, Warner Bros., etc. who have this contemptous attitude towards Disney. I know to each their own, but it's almost like some people think you can like only one thing or the other. What about enjoying all types of cartoons? I know I do. I can watch Shrek or Animaniacs and laugh at all the little jokes in there at Disney's expense, and yet I count many Disney movies as some of my all-time favorites movies. Or what about likng both Universal Studios and the Disney theme parks? I just have to wonder what's up with this attitude. Is there anyone here who likes both Disney movies and shows and those done by other companies?

If this topic gets too out of hand, mods, feel free to delete it.
shady pines ma
Streetrat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about any of these rivalries, but LAME. I have nothing but respect for Warner Bros. Mostly because they own Turner Entertainment and therefore Turner Classic Movies, which is still the best television network for showing classic films the way they were meant to be seen.

one of the living | my livejournal | bella donna
Brighteyes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*nods* Not only do they own TCM, but Looney Tunes as well, which are some of the best comedic cartoons around, IMHO.

On the other hand, I think Disney generally does the better animated film (tho I really do like Cats Don't Dance). Er, usually. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
AladdinsGenie
Genie of the Messageboard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a dumb rivalry I hear about all the time, but not with Warner/Disney since Looney Tunes have kind of dimmed out the spotlight, but from Disney versus Pretty Much Anything Else Animated. I hear it from anime kids all the time: "disney sux!11 it's not as SRS as anime!!1 ^__^" Yeah, cause Speed Racer is the height of seriousness in the culture of anime Laughing

It's just a preference of styles and content and how to approach animation in general where the feud comes from. Disney is a bit more light-hearted and Looney Tunes is a bit more zippy and wacky, etc.
I personally watch all of it, though, I really don't care because I love animation. I watch the Jetsons every night, for example Laughing If I don't like something, it's because I don't like it. Not because I have some dedication to a company. Disney is up there, but I definitely don't like everything they do.
Brighteyes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AladdinsGenie wrote:
It's a dumb rivalry I hear about all the time, but not with Warner/Disney since Looney Tunes have kind of dimmed out the spotlight, but from Disney versus Pretty Much Anything Else Animated.

That's actually a better way of putting it. Warner Bros came up so much in my posts because many of my friends are big fans of WB cartoons and I'm more familiar with its' fandom then most other animation-based ones.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
I hear it from anime kids all the time: "disney sux!11 it's not as SRS as anime!!1 ^__^" Yeah, cause Speed Racer is the height of seriousness in the culture of anime.

Lol, true.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
It's just a preference of styles and content and how to approach animation in general where the feud comes from. Disney is a bit more light-hearted and Looney Tunes is a bit more zippy and wacky, etc.

Good point. This almost reminds me of artists who hate fan art/cartooning/anthro art/etc. and think it's not "real art" (partly) because they themselves don't personally care for it.

EDIT: Tho I believe this rivalry also stems from pple believing that they must be loyal to their favorite animation studio.

AladdinsGenie wrote:
If I don't like something, it's because I don't like it. Not because I have some dedication to a company. Disney is up there, but I definitely don't like everything they do.

That's awesome. I sniff around other Disney forums and even an anti-Disney board (well, back when the major board was still up), and a number of Disney fans came across as having this cult-like devotion to Disney (but then again, a number of the anti-Dsney folks came off as being just as crazy, so both sides sucked hard). I remember being threatened with physical violence by this one guy. It's pretty creepy. Like you, there's things that I like about Disney, and things I don't.

Last edited by Brighteyes on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syera
Cynical Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the tendency to think in terms of "us vs. them" is an instinct. As a social/pack animal that would have had to compete with others in the past, it's natural for us to treat things outside our "pack" with suspicion or even hostility.

People, acting on this ancient instinct without even realizing it, apply it to the silliest things - entertainment companies, car companies, fast food franchises... the list goes on.

Some people express this instinct by attacking the perceived opposition in some way. (Such as by making jabs at it.)

I think the rivalry that bugs me the most is western animation vs. anime. Having sampled from both, I would have to say that neither one is really "better." There's good and bad from both sides.

Weblog | SH.net | Ed-sprite by Janette
Brighteyes
Agrabah Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's similar to what I said in my previous post, about pple seeming to believe that they must be loyal to their favorite animation studio. You just phrased it in a much better way. Razz

Syera wrote:
I think the rivalry that bugs me the most is western animation vs. anime. Having sampled from both, I would have to say that neither one is really "better." There's good and bad from both sides.

Agreed. It's sad that the rabid fans on both sides will never realize that. Personally, I think the rivalry that really gets to me is all the fighting between fans of western animation. Seeing fanfics where Disney was almost always depicted as Magical and Pure (except for the Disney characters the writer disliked) while other cartoon characters like Bugs Bunny were vile and corrupted, or fics where other cartoons were the heroes and Disney was evil and stuck-up, as well bashing fan art, annoyed me to the extent where I went and posted this rant/question.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aladdin Central Messageboard Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum